Friday, September 14, 2007

Goodness, this is good!

Things are going stupidly well for me. I wish they were going as well for some of my friends.

(1) I've never had a job that I was happy to go to, where I was happy doing the work. In previous jobs, I was often in a good mood while doing the work, but it was incidental. Or I was happy to see the other people at work. Now, though, now I'm completely happy at work. I like the people I work with, I like working with them, and I like the work. It's fantastic.

My friend, Kristin, has a different problem: she works with some very crotchety people who constantly question her, even though she is superb at what she does. Worse, she has deal with ethical issues, where she is clearly in the right, and they, clearly in the wrong.

Another friend just left the job she had because it wasn't for her. However, she's going to pursue other options closer to her interests. I'm proud of her, but I know it was a serious struggle.

Yet another friend is making her own movie. That comes with its own problems.

(2) The Writing Thing. It's moving along, and better than I had hoped. I'm not winning any awards, but part of that is due to the fact that I'm not entering any contests, and I have purposely started small in my submitting. I'm looking forward to more readings and meeting new people, however. As my friend MB said today, "it makes you feel like less of an island."

(3) Grad School. Should I or shouldn't I? I don't know. I want to pursue an MFA in -- you guessed it -- creative writing, but I don't know if it will be worth it for me, since I have this amazing job, I'm building on my skills, and things are going so well. I don't know. I'm really torn. The end of my undergrad career took a serious toll on me; I'm concerned that grad school would too. I still have to work. No matter what. Unless I strike it rich or something. If you have an opinion on this matter, go ahead and voice it. I'd be interested to hear it.

Life in general is just very, very good. It's never been this good, in fact. I'm a little scared of it all crumbling. In the meantime, the walls look solid. I hope they hold.

No comments: