Saturday, September 8, 2007

Spills, Thrills and the Creation of Routine

This week was crazy. But that's beside the point.

I've got fizz in my mouth and caffeine in my brain. More than that, I got work -- writing -- on the brain. The problem is, I seem to only be able to produce large piles of crap for every one solid piece I write. That's not really the problem, actually. That's fairly typical. Not everything -- or even anything -- is going to be gold.

I guess the fact that this week was crazy is the point. It was so busy that I haven't really had any time to write. Right now I'm trying to unwind. It's not working.

I feel like I'm in a perpetual state of nothing-to-say. That's a poor state for a writer to be in, because having something to say is a fundamental quality that writers usually possess. I'm sure it's a temporary situation. I'm simply frustrated -- because I'm tired from all the goings-on -- and want to get rolling but can't focus.

So chilling is the way to go for this weekend, I'm afraid. Chilling, and producing lots of crappy work that will go into the little file on my desk that says "Trash Work." I save it. Just in case it's not as bad as I think.

So even though this week wasn't productive for reading or writing, I did find a host of new resources and did get somethings done:

- I submitted two poems to a magazine
- I submitted another two poems -- my very, very, very best poems, I think -- to a competition. - I found new online zines I really like. I'll link them up later.
- I found a local open mic poetry night. It's next Tuesday.
- I found a host of literary events, including a reading by Junot Diaz next week -- on Wednesday.
- I found a concert I want to go to.
- I found three sites full of tips for writers who are just starting in publishing. Wheeee!

Making that list, I do feel that work is getting done. I have music to pound out as well, and a schedule to create -- and keep.

Let's see if I can do it. Creating order is so damn messy.

No comments: