Monday, August 20, 2007

That Girl is Poison

Or, rather, I was poisoned. By my food.

Oh noes!

On Sunday evening, I made a delightful chicken sandwich. Lettuce, fresh tomato, mayonaisse, and fresh deli sliced rotisserie chicken. Mmmm.

In the middle of the night I found myself in terrible pain, crying, and other unpleasant side effects, none the least of which was the pain in my abdomen. Eventually, I got redressed, and went to the hospital where I shivered and shook and waited an inordinate amount of time for help and had to deal with an extremely belligerant nurse. By the time I saw a doctor (three hours later) the situation - food poisoning -- had resolved itself.

A fantastic waste of time.

I came home, slept -- I am still awfully tired.

Now, where did I get the food? Well, I bought it at Shaw's in Salem, which I will not be returning to. I'll go to another store, going forward. Not only did I get bad deli meat there, but I"ve had cause to complain before:

* The regular meat -- packaged chicken, beef, pork, etc, is regulary rotten. Cleary, disgustingly rotten.

* The potato salad incident -- I ordered a pound of potato salad. The deli guy took a container and swiped it through the potato salad without the use of a utensil. That means that any bacteria or anything that touched the container, the lid, and the guy's hands went into the potato salad. That's not ok. I complained.

* Rotten fruit and vegetables, insects in them, etc, on a regular basis.

And now their less than stellar practices have made me actually sick. I don't know what happened -- if the meat wasn't refrigerated fast enough upon arrival, etc, but I am not going back there. I'm done.

No comments: