Thursday, October 11, 2007

KYEO

Tonight is very sedate. I am preparing for Friday, for the weekend. I have things that need to do be done. Namely:

I need to make soup to last about a week. It needs to be good chicken soup. I need to make it.
I need to make cookies. Goddammit, I need cookies.
I need to get or make gluten free meatballs. Or, I need to go to that place in New Hampshire with the GF everything ever.

I need to relax. Seriously relax.
I need to assess the submissions and figure out how to get more.
I need to assess where we are with getting the website up.
I need to talk to my friends sometime this weekend, too, probably.

I need some serious me time. Shouldn't be a problem, because I have a thousand things to do. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, and assessing, and so forth.

Anyhow. Enough about what I need. How about what I've done?

Last night, I sat at my desk until long after my shift -- my workday, I don't really have a "shift" per say -- had ended. I sat there. I went up the street and got some mango curry. I came back. I ate it. I read the news. And so forth. Then I went outside, moved my car, and cleaned it out. Shortly thereafter, the Emilys arrived.

I work with two nice girls named Emily. Together, we piled into my newly-cleaned of all straw-wrappers car and drove to Boston, where we -- I -- promptly lost track of Comm Ave once into Allston because I haven't been there in a long time. The street we were looking for was poorly marked, too -- when I say 'poorly marked', I guess I mean 'was not marked.'

We found our way to the building, where we sat in the aisle and listened to the speaker, Mark Strand, well... speak.

He read a handful of poems. He read for maybe an hour. Took no questions. Told (as far as I know) no lies. Stated no statements thereafter. Made many jokes.

His poems were pretty good. It's weird, though, how things get lost in translation betwixt reading and hearing.

I want to impart all the laughter that was had in the car, but it can't be done. I am tired and sort of despondent just now. I was just talking to my dear friend and with a beep she was gone to another call. It happens. But the cats are anxious and though there is no catastrophe at hand, I am afraid it could be just around the corner.

I'm keeping an eye out.

No comments: